"The will of the people shall be the basis of the authority of government; this will shall be expressed in periodic and genuine elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret vote or by equivalent free voting procedures."
DocumentUN: Universal Declaration of Human Rights, art. 21.3
- Genuine elections are required to express the will of the people.
- The expression of the will of the people in establishing government is fundamental in every election.
- Elections must be held by universal suffrage.
- Elections must be held by equal suffrage.
- The election should be held by secret ballot.
- Elections are to be held at periodic intervals.