"The Committee recommends that States parties: (f) Adopt a zero-tolerance policy towards all forms of violence that undermine women’s participation, including targeted violence by State and non- State groups against women campaigning for public office or women exercising their right to vote. "
DocumentUN (CEDAW): General Recommendation No. 30 on Women in Conflict Prevention, Conflict and Post-conflict Situations, pg.20,para. IV.B.9.73.f
- Everyone has the right to security of the person without arbitrary arrest or detention.
- The right to security of the person applies to candidates.
- Interference with registration, intimidation or coercion of potential voters is prohibited.
- Voters have a right to security provided by police and security forces in polling stations, but without interference from them.
- States should ensure that violence, including online, does not undermine women's rights, including political participation and representation.