"[States should] ensure transparency of the electoral process, particularly in: 8.2.3. the conduct of the ballot: it is advisable to ensure that polling stations are appropriately designed, that transparent ballot boxes are used, that voting booths are available, that counting takes place in public and that distance voting is well regulated. "
DocumentCoE (Parliamentary Assembly): Resolution 1897 (2012): Ensuring Greater Democracy in Elections, para. 8.2-8.2.3
- The polling station and its staff should be of sufficient size to handle the expected number of voters.
- As voting begins, ballot boxes should be shown to be empty.
- Ballot boxes should be properly sealed at the beginning of the vote.
- Safeguards should be in place to ensure the accuracy of the vote, no matter the form of balloting or counting used (manual, mechanical, or electronic).
- Vote counting procedures should be verifiable and votes should be preserved for review.
- Votes should be counted and reported honestly.