"State Parties shall take all appropriate policy, legislative and other measures to ensure this right (to participate in political and public life), on the basis of equality, including through: (…) c) Putting in place reasonable accommodations and other support measures consistent with the secrecy of the ballot, including as appropriate, accessibility of polling stations and facilitating assisted voting, for persons with disabilities to enable their effective participation in political and public life in accordance with national laws. "
DocumentAU: Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People's Rights on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Africa, art. 21.2.c
- Voting procedures, facilities, and materials should be appropriate, accessible, and easy to use for persons with disabilities.
- Everyone has the right of equal access to any place or service intended for public use.
- Polling sites must be accessible.
- Accommodation to vote should be made for voters with special needs, including persons with disabilities.
- Accommodations for voters with special needs should protect the right to vote secretly.
- Reasonable accommodations should be made to all existing infrastructure, materials, communication and services to enable the participation of persons with disabilities on an equal basis with others.