"Reasonable accommodation duties are different from accessibility duties. Both aim to guarantee accessibility, but the duty to provide accessibility through universal design or assistive technologies is an ex ante duty, whereas the duty to provide reasonable accommodation is an ex nunc duty."
DocumentUN (CRPD): General Comment No. 6 on Equality and Non-discrimination, para. 24
- Voting procedures, facilities, and materials should be appropriate, accessible, and easy to use for persons with disabilities.
- Specific measures aimed at ensuring de facto equality for persons with disabilities should not be considered discriminatory.
- Everyone has the right of equal access to any place or service intended for public use.
- Accommodation to vote should be made for voters with special needs, including persons with disabilities.
- Reasonable accommodations should be made to all existing infrastructure, materials, communication and services to enable the participation of persons with disabilities on an equal basis with others.