"Democracy requires, in particular, the holding, at regular intervals, of free, fair and transparent elections, based on the respect and exercise, without any hindrance or discrimination, of the right to freedom and physical integrity for every voter and every candidate, the rights to freedom of opinion and expression, especially through the press and other communications media, freedom of assembly and demonstration, and freedom of association."
- Everyone has the right to association.
- Everyone has the right to peaceful assembly.
- Everyone has the right to freedom of expression, whether through public speeches or other means.
- Political parties and candidates must be granted, on an equal basis, the freedom to seek, receive, and impart information and ideas of all kinds orally, in writing, in print, through art, or through any other form of media.
- Everyone has the right to security of the person without arbitrary arrest or detention.
- Elections are to be held at periodic intervals.
- The right to security of the person applies to candidates.