Safeguards were in place to prevent multiple voting and other forms of ballot fraud
- The electoral system should endeavor to ensure equal suffrage by according each voter and vote equal weight.
- Duplicate voting is prohibited.
- Provided they allowed for consistency with other international obligations, safeguards may be used to diminish the potential for duplicate voting.
- Voters' fingers may be marked to prevent duplicate voting.
- Ballot box "stuffing" is prohibited.
- As voting begins, ballot boxes should be shown to be empty.
- All ballots, including unused ballots, should be accounted for during election day.
- Ballot boxes should be properly sealed at the beginning of the vote.
- Sensitive election materials should be stored securely throughout the voting process.