- Women should enjoy equality with men before the law.
- States may regulate the law concerning nationality, citizenship, or naturalization, but may not discriminate against any particular nationality in doing so.
- Discrimination must not be practiced based on sex.
- Discrimination includes any distinction, exclusion, restriction, or preference on the basis of sex.
- The state must perform both its "negative duty" to refrain from discrimination against women and its "positive duty" to prevent discrimination against women.