States Authorities Responsible for Upholding Rights
- Citizens were able to participate in public affairs through nongovernmental organizations
- All branches of the government are responsible for protecting human rights, including those responsible for administering election processes
- An independent, duly-resourced body oversaw compliance with data protection principles
- Necessary steps to give effect to human rights include education of the population and state officials in human rights.
- All branches of the government and other public or governmental authorities are responsible for meeting the obligation to give effect to human rights.
- States should ensure transparency in the management of public affairs.
- States have a duty to protect the fundamental human rights of all within their jurisdiction.
- An independent, duly-resourced body should oversee compliance with data protection principles.
- States should safeguard the ability of civil society organizations to seek, receive, and use resources, including funding.