"To vote and be elected at genuine periodic elections which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and shall be held by secret ballot, guaranteeing the free expression of the will of the voter."
DocumentUNGA: International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, art. 25(b)
- Genuine elections are required to express the will of the people.
- The expression of the will of the people in establishing government is fundamental in every election.
- Every citizen has the right to be elected.
- Elections must be held by universal suffrage.
- Elections must be held by equal suffrage.
- Elections are to be held at periodic intervals.