"Every citizen shall enjoy the following rights: b. to vote and to be elected in genuine periodic elections, which shall be by universal and equal suffrage and by secret ballot that guarantees the free expression of the will of the voters."
DocumentOAS: American Convention on Human Rights, art. 23.1(b)
- Genuine elections are required to express the will of the people.
- The expression of the will of the people in establishing government is fundamental in every election.
- Every citizen has the right to vote.
- Elections must be held by universal suffrage.
- Elections must be held by equal suffrage.
- The election should be held by secret ballot.
- Elections are to be held at periodic intervals.