"Every woman has the right to the recognition, enjoyment, exercise and protection of all human rights and freedoms embodied in regional and international human rights instruments. These rights include, among others: ...j. The right to have equal access to the public service of her country and to take part in the conduct of public affairs, including decision-making. "
DocumentOAS: Inter-American Convention on the Prevention, Punishment and Eradication of Violence Against Women, art. 4.j
- Everyone should have access, free from discrimination, to the public service of the country.
- Everyone has the right to participate in the public affairs of his/her country.
- Women have the right to participate in the public affairs of their country.
- Election management bodies should ensure that women and marginalized groups participate in the electoral process.
- The state must perform both its "negative duty" to refrain from discrimination against women and its "positive duty" to prevent discrimination against women.