"[States should foster citizen participation in the electoral process by]enabling all citizens to exercise their right to vote through proxy voting, postal voting or e-voting, on the condition that the secrecy and the security of the vote are guaranteed. "
DocumentCoE (Parliamentary Assembly): Resolution 1897 (2012): Ensuring Greater Democracy in Elections, para. 8.1.12
- Various methods may be employed to facilitate voting for those unable to reach a polling station.
- Methods to facilitate voting may include postal voting.
- Proxy voting is allowed, but should be strictly regulated to respect electoral security.
- The system for balloting (paper, electronic, or otherwise) should ensure the secrecy of a voter's choice.
- Proxy voting should be strictly regulated to not compromise secrecy of the ballot.
- E-voting systems should facilitate voting by persons with disabilities.
- The voting system, including electronic systems, should be sufficiently secure against fraud.