"[Member states should] protect and promote the equal civil and political rights of women and men, including running for office and freedom of association. "
DocumentCoE (Committee of Ministers): Recommendation Rec(2003)3 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on Balanced Participation of Women and Men in Political and Public Decision Making, II
- Everyone has the right to association.
- Everyone has the right to associate with non-governmental organizations.
- Everyone has the right to associate with a political party.
- Everyone has the right to establish a political party.
- With respect to candidates for office, there should be no restrictions on candidates based on sex.
- Political parties must embrace the principles of equal opportunity for female candidates.
- The state must perform both its "negative duty" to refrain from discrimination against women and its "positive duty" to prevent discrimination against women.