"States should put in place a range of measures, including those highlighted in our Joint Declaration of 12 December 2007, to create an environment in which a pluralistic media sector can flourish. These should include, among others, obligations of transparency of media ownership, licensing of different types of broadcasters to promote diversity, rules to prevent undue concentration of media ownership and measures to promote content diversity among and within media outlets. "
DocumentInternational Mechanisms for Promoting Freedom of Expression: Joint Statement on the Media and Elections, p. 1 para.12
- The communication and circulation of ideas may not be restricted by any indirect means, such as abuse of government or private control over the media.
- The state should endeavor to ensure a pluralistic media that allows its citizens to access a variety of viewpoints and media outlets.
- The media should not be prevented from expressing criticisms of the government.
- Editorial independence should be protected and free from political or economic interference.
- The structure of media ownership should be transparent.
- States should take steps to ensure a free and independent media.