"The Committee recommends that States parties: (d) Ensure that electoral reforms incorporate the principle of gender equality, and guarantee women’s equal representation through the adoption of temporary special measures such as quotas, including for disadvantaged groups of women; adopt a proportional representation electoral system; regulate political parties; and mandate electoral management bodies to ensure compliance through sanctions. "
DocumentUN (CEDAW): General Recommendation No. 30 on Women in Conflict Prevention, Conflict and Post-conflict Situations, pg.20, para. IV.B.9.73.d
- States should take special, temporary measures to achieve de facto equality for women.
- Temporary measures to achieve de facto equality for women may include the use of quotas to ensure their participation or representation.
- Election management bodies should ensure that women and marginalized groups participate in the electoral process.
- Political parties must embrace the principles of equal opportunity for female candidates.
- Temporary special measures to achieve de facto equality for women can include financially assisting and training women candidates, amending electoral procedures, developing campaigns directed at equal participation, and targeting women for appointment to public positions, or the use of quotas.