"States should adopt specific measures to protect the editorial independence and operational autonomy of public service media by limiting the influence of the State. The supervisory and management boards of public service media should be able to operate in a fully independent manner and the rules governing their composition and appointment procedures should be transparent and contain adequate checks and balances to ensure their independence."
DocumentCoE (Committee of Ministers): Recommendation Rec(2018)1 of the Committee of Ministers to Member States on Media Pluralism and Transparency of Media Ownership, para. 2.9
- The communication and circulation of ideas may not be restricted by any indirect means, such as abuse of government or private control over the media.
- Editorial independence, including of online media, should be protected and free from political or economic interference.
- An independent body to regulate election broadcasts may be established.
- The appointment and functioning of regulatory authorities should be transparent.
- The state should ensure that all public regulatory agencies are independent and protected from interference.