Private Funding for Campaigns
- All candidates were treated equitably with regard to campaign finance and expenditures
- Citizens were able to support candidates and parties, including financial support, and this support did not interfere with the independence of the party
- The system for regulating private financial contributions ensured equality of freedom to raise private funds
- The state and its citizens are both entitled to provide support to candidates and political parties.
- State and citizen support should not interfere with the independence of a political party.
- Where legislation allows for public funding, private funding, or a mix of the two, legislation should ensure that all political parties and candidates are treated equitably with respect to campaign finance and expenditures.
- Political parties and candidates should be partly financed through private means.
- Where private funding contributions are allowed, the system should be designed to ensure equality of freedom to raise private funds.