- Voting technologies should work correctly.
- The voting system, including electronic systems, should be sufficiently secure against fraud.
- Voters should be able to tell when their vote has been cast.
- The correct functioning of e-voting systems should be ensured by the state through an independent body.
- Electoral processes involving technologies should meet the same requirements of universality, equality, integrity, transparency, and accountability as traditional voting.
- Technologies should be introduced gradually, based on prior planning, testing, evaluation, and certification.