"Observation of elections b. Observation must not be confined to election day itself, but must include the registration period of candidates and, if necessary, of electors, as well as the electoral campaign. It must make it possible to determine whether irregularities occurred before, during or after the elections. It must always be possible during vote counting. "
DocumentCoE (Venice Commission): Code of Good Practice in Electoral Matters, II. 3.2. b
- The election management process should be transparent.
- Candidates' agents should be guaranteed access to monitor all aspects of the electoral process.
- The participation of observers, citizen and international, may enhance all aspects of the electoral process.
- Candidates' agents should be guaranteed access to monitor all aspects of the electoral process, including voter registration.
- Candidates, party agents, and accredited observers should have access to polling stations.
- Candidates or their agents and accredited observers should be allowed to observe the counting and tabulation of the votes.
- Vote counting should be a transparent and observable process.