"Investigations and prosecutions are essential to reduce future violence."
DocumentUNHRC: Report of the Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary, or Arbitrary Executions, Philip Alston: Addendum on Election-Related Violence and Killings, para. 91
- Malfeasance, unlawful actions or omissions by public security providers should be promptly investigated and entail appropriate liability set by law.
- States have a duty to investigate alleged rights violations.
- The duty to investigate includes the investigation of acts by private persons and entities.
- States have a duty to provide appropriate judicial and administrative means for addressing claims of rights violations.
- Where a violation is found to have occurred states have a duty to punish those guilty of the violation.