Regardless of their ideological position, political parties should be treated equally in being recognized and registering as a party.
- Authentic elections assume equal and fair legal conditions for registration of candidates, lists of candidates and political parties (coalitions). Registration requirements should be clear, and they should not include conditions that may become the grounds for limitations or privileges of a discriminatory nature. Any arbitrary or discriminatory application of norms for registration of political parties (coalitions), candidates, lists of candidates is not allowed.
- "FAIR" [is] an electoral process where the "playing field" is reasonably level and accessible to all electors, parties and candidates...
- The provisions for registration of political parties must not be designed to exclude political competitors.
- State authorities should remain neutral in dealing with the process of establishment, registration (where applied) and activities of political parties and refrain from any measures that could privilege some political forces and discriminate others. All political parties should be given equal opportunities to participate in elections.
- In the context of elections, the expression "level playing field" refers to a requirements that the election rules and regulations apply fairly to all political parties and candidates. It requires that the Electoral Commission deals openly and on equal terms with each of the political parties to enhance transparency.
- ‘Threshold’ requirements can…limit the representation possibilities for parties that fail to obtain a certain percentage of the vote.
- Paragraph 7.6 [of the Copenhagen Document] requires that the government provide political parties and organisations "with the necessary legal guarantees to enable them to compete with each other on a basis of equal treatment before the law and by the authorities".
- The legal framework should ensure that all political parties and candidates are able to compete in elections on the basis of equitable treatment.