All individuals and groups should have the right to establish their own political parties or political organizations on equal terms.
- Every woman has the right to the recognition, enjoyment, exercise and protection of all human rights and freedoms embodied in regional and international human rights instruments. These rights include, among others: …h. The right to freely associate.
- Older persons should be able to form movements or associations of older persons.
- Respect the right of individuals and groups to establish, in full freedom, their own political parties or other political organizations and provide such political parties and organizations with the necessary legal guarantees to enable them to compete with each other on a basis of equal treatment before the law and by the authorities.
- Political parties are not, in any Council of Europe Member State, the creation of public organs. The guideline that can be deduced from this practice is that State bodies should abstain from participating in the establishment of political parties and should not limit the right to establish political parties on a national, regional and local level.
- Respect for fundamental rights a. Democratic elections are not possible without respect for human rights, in particular freedom of expression and of the press, freedom of circulation inside the country, freedom of assembly and freedom of association for political purposes, including the creation of political parties.
- Fundamental freedoms are essential to the democratic character of the campaign period, and all political participants should enjoy the freedom of association and should be able to freely express their campaign messages and assemble with their constituents free from intimidation or hindrance. Citizens should have the right to express their political convictions freely.
- All political forces and movements should…be able to nominate candidates on equal terms, and not be limited for reasons of race, gender, language, religion, political or other opinion, ethnic or national origin, or economic status.
- The legislative framework for elections should provide for the right of all individuals and groups to establish, in full freedom, their own political parties or other political organizations with legal guarantees to enable them to compete with each other on a basis of equitable treatment before the law.
- Member States should not impose unnecessary restrictions on the establishment and activities of political unions and associations on regional and local levels.