"Political parties must be equally represented on electoral commissions or must be able to observe the work of the impartial body. Equality may be construed strictly or on a proportional basis (see point I.2.3.b). "
DocumentCoE (Venice Commission): Code of Good Practice in Electoral Matters, II.3.1.e
- The meetings of election bodies should be open.
- Election management bodies should be impartial and should not discriminate in the performance of their public function.
- Recruitment of election authority staff that is transparent, efficient, and equitable should instill public confidence in the body.
- The state should establish an independent and impartial election body.
- The composition of the election commission can vary, but the principles of independence and impartiality should be upheld.