"Equality of opportunity must be guaranteed for parties and candidates alike. This entails a neutral attitude by state authorities, in particular with regard to: iii. public funding of parties and campaigns."
DocumentCoE (Venice Commission): Code of Good Practice in Electoral Matters, I.2.3.a.iii
- State support to candidates and political parties may be financial.
- The formula for the distribution of state support to to candidates and political parties should be objective, fair, and reasonable.
- The state should enable new parties to compete under fair conditions with more established parties.
- Where legislation allows for public funding, private funding, or a mix of the two, legislation should ensure that all political parties and candidates are treated equitably with respect to campaign finance and expenditures.
- If public funds are distributed to political parties and candidates, those funds should be available on an equitable basis.